[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 17:16:51 UTC 2014

So I came across this article at Neowin.net regarding a Windows 8 HDMI
stick:
http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-bay-trail-based-usb-stick-capable-of-running-windows-81-goes-on-sale

In addition to the Windows stick, it mentions that both Microsoft and
Mozilla are coming out with ChromeCast-style sticks of their own. I started
to wonder... Is it time to throw away the dream of the $99 FE and look to
devices like these instead? They would be low power, easy to setup and
maintain (well, to plug into the tv), and cheaper than an entire computer.

The video specs on the device that neowin linked to (
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Mini-PC-with-both-Android-Windows-8-system/2044898752.html)
are a bit lacking, but it appears to have built-in wifi, two usb ports (I
assume one for power), and can support up to a 32GB SD card.

Any thoughts? Would a kickstarter project for a MythTV "stick" be feasible?
StickTV? :-)