[mythtv-users] HD Transcoder to .mkv?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Oct 20 14:40:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 10:56:30PM -0600, Scott Souter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a HD PVR, but am dissapointed that XBMC on an ATV2 cannot handle the mpeg format.  Is there any tried and true transcoders availble to convert the HD file to an .mkv format?  Any tips anyone?

    Are you sure it's not the h264 stream itself? The HD-PVR can probably
generate streams that the ATV2 has no hope of decoding. I dumped my last
Mac Minis over this very issue. They simply didn't have the horspower to
decode what the HD-PVR was generating.

    So you may need to tweak the video stream so that it's something that
the ATV2 can handle.

    Handbrake is an obvious choice.

    If you want to automate this, you can see what ffmpeg commands are
being run by Handbrake and put that into a shell script.