[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 19 15:24:47 UTC 2014

I vote to keep the external mysql database. There is a lot that I do
with the database and I have not yet shot myself in the foot or reported
as bugs things that I caused. This is the principle behind open source,
let the users do their thing with the caveat that they may mess things
up. Those people who use mythtv as an appliance and do not touch the
database can continue to do that even with an external database.

There was a bug back in version 0.24 or 0.25 where the backend would
exceed the limit of database connections if a large number of files
expired at the same time. Then recordings were stuck in limbo. That
happened to me and the fix from the mailing list was to reset the
deletepending flag on the recording table. If I could not run SQL what
would the fix have been?

I often do database selects to find things, for example recently I
needed to find if any recording rules did not have user job 1 selected.

In common with many people I use a database script to add channels. I
have many scripts that access the database daily, for example I look at
all of my recording devices and test them during startup so that I know
if somebody has pulled out a cable. Rather than hard code them in my
script I read them off the database.

Peter