[mythtv-users] hdpvr rmmod hanging

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Sun Oct 19 05:51:09 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 03:19 PM, Ken Truesdale wrote:

> I’m new to the HD-PVR and have recently installed it on my working
> backend.  It is mostly working now – I can tune live TV using it and
> recordings fire off a channel change.  I’ve got a problem with my
> channel change script when starting a recording (which doesn’t happen
> with live TV) but I should be able to figure that out on my own. But I
> also see that the HD-PVR sometimes doesn’t stop recording.  The show
> it tried to record (but recorded a different program instead due to
> the aforementioned script issue) lasted a half hour and MythTV seems
> to have correctly stopped recording at the half hour mark even though
> the HD-PVR didn’t get the notification to stop recording.
>
> To try and debug it, I thought about looking into a script to reload
> the hdpvr module.  Seemed simple enough and there are script examples
> out there.  But when I try typing the following in the command line:
>
>      sudo modprobe -r -v hdpvr
>
> the command just hangs there indefinitely showing:
>
>     rmmod hdpvr
>
> I can kill the sudo process that kicked off the modprobe but I can’t
> kill the modprobe process.  The only way I have found to clear the
> problem is a reboot and even then, during shutdown, the process won’t
> die and hangs the computer on the waiting for processes to end step
> requiring me to push and hold the power button.  Nasty. Clearly
> something is very wrong somewhere.
>
> This is what I see in dmesg before trying the modprobe –r:
>
>     [   15.456135] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7
> 2012 08:25:15
>
>     [   15.966780] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0
>
>     [   15.966841] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr
>
> And this is what I see from dmesg after the modprobe –r starts (and
> then hangs):
>
>     [   15.456135] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7
> 2012 08:25:15
>
>     [   15.966780] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0
>
>     [   15.966841] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr
>
>     [  846.134280] usbcore: deregistering interface driver hdpvr
>
>     [  846.134308] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device video0 disconnected
>
> If I don’t plug in the USB connection to the HD-PVR when I boot up,
> the hdpvr module doesn’t get loaded, of course.  So I can modprobe
> hdpvr and it loads fine.  Then I can modprobe –r no problem.  The
> inability to remove the hdpvr module could be related to the way the
> device keeps recording sometimes.  So I’m hopeful that fixing one will
> fix the other.  But I’m out of ideas about what to check or what could
> be the source of the problem.
>
> I am running Mythbuntu so my setup for the HD-PVR was pretty easy.
> Mostly just plugged it in and set it up in the Backend setup.  A few
> extra steps to enable the IR flashing.  And I did start with updating
> the firmware to the latest using a Windows computer.
>
> I have checked my BIOS settings for USB settings.  I don’t have much
> [...]
Occasionally one of my 2 HD-PVRs look like they are still recording when
they aren't, but the recording itself is valid.
In those cases, cycling the on/off button with a 10 second delay
corrects the problem.
If you are using the HD-PVR IR blaster, a reset does require a reload of
a lirc daemon if needed.

I am using MythTV 0.27.3 on Ubuntu 12, and HD-PVR firmware 0x1e, the
most recent and preferred firmware as it corrects some issues.  I would
definitely not mess with your firmware.

Check your computer's USB port: should be rev2.