[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Oct 18 13:42:08 UTC 2014

On 18/10/14 14:16, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 18/10/14 08:35, Lee Donaghy wrote:
>> Personally i'd love it if mysql was dropped, my biggest linux headaches have
>> been when dealing with mysql.
>> when i upgraded to /Ubuntu 13.10 i ended up turning off the pc in anger and
>> trying again the next day.
>> /
>> /thankfully server upgrades don't happen often, currently on 14.04 LTS so
>> won't need to upgrade again for a few years.
>> /
>> /
>> /
>> /if people new to mythtv have problems like this they are likely to give up
>> and use something easier like tvheadend.
>> /
>>
>> --
>> Lee Donaghy.
>>

> Yes one of the main reasons for embedding the database is to make Myth easier to
> set up.
>
> The users who are complaining are probably quite happy to mess with mysql but
> most users just want it to work out of the box.

There's two separate concerns here. I can appreciate the desire to make mythtv
setup easier. Embedding the database is one less thing to worry about. How many
posts have we had here about systems that have had strange mysql passwords or
access restrictions they couldn't solve?

On the other hand, once the system is up and running I think most of us feel the
need to be able to analyse the database, at the very least, when something odd
happens. To have a 'black box' is fine, providing the tools used to access it
are adequate for bug analysis and, in trivial cases, bug fixing.

With an off-the-shelf database like mysql those tools are, of course, freely
available. To write your own embedded database means writing your own tools and
that process will itself generate its own limitations and bugs.

--

Mike Perkins