[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Oct 18 00:54:03 UTC 2014

On 17/10/2014 12:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> [...]
> machine, you'll be able to.
>
>>   If I require more than 1 backend, I can, etc.
>
> If you require more than 1 backend, you'll still be able to run more
> than 1 backend.  As a matter of fact, it's likely that when we have
> the embedded database, we'll have modularized what's now one
> monolithic backend so that you can run only those pieces you want/need
> on any given system (i.e. run data server here, run scheduler here,
> run recorders there and there and there, run job queues there, run
> media servers there and there and there and there, ...)
>
>>      I have seen Windows Servers with 6+ instances of MSSQL running,
>> because each different app installed its own instance of MSSQL
>> Express and no ability to use a full licensed version if available.
>> Do we really need to go down this backup & support hell path with
>> MythTV??
>
> This won't be instances of MySQL running on the system, it will be
> embedded MySQL running as part of a MythTV application.  If you run
> other applications that have embedded MySQL, it will be more similar
> to running multiple applications with embedded SQLite database on your
> system (as you do now), such as Firefox and Thunderbird and Dropbox
> and ...--or for you Apple users, Apple Mail and Safari and Aperture
> and iTunes.  (Or even in multiple Android applications and multiple
> iOS applications--and if a resource-constrained, ARM-powered device
> can do this type of thing, your PC you choose to use for running the
> MythTV data server will be able to.)
>
>> What actual advantages does switching to an embedded DB Server provide?
>
> It forces everyone--developers of MythTV /and/ everyone else--to
> access the data correctly, via requests to a data server, which can
> enforce data integrity constraints, rather than using direct database
> access because embedded MySQL does not support multi-client/network
> access.  This means that people will be forced to finally do things
> properly--instead of just hacking some SQL script to fix up their
> channels or running some quick SQL to modify some stuff in their
> database, someone will have to write the code to allow /anyone/ to fix
> up their channels easily or modify whatever stuff needs modifying in
> the database.
>
> IMHO, the biggest problem with providing easy access to the
> underlying, internal-use data is that it provides a means by which
> people can selfishly solve problems for themselves rather than helping
> to solve the problem for everyone.
>
> That said, the 2 main reasons I'm for it are 1) because someone
> shouldn't have to be a DBA to install/configure/run/maintain MythTV
> and 2) it will encourage us (the developers, as well as users) to make
> the tools to do things that need to be done.  (So, rather than lazy
> solutions like SQL scripts that set up all the channels for users in
> the UK after broadcasters shuffle/rename things, we'll have built-in
> tools that make it easy to set up the channels, etc.)
Sounds like using a sledge hammer to drive in a thumb tack.
Development of the resources/documentation to implement the tools you
speak off without needing to resort to "lazy solutions" BEFORE black
boxing the DB, makes much more sense.  Encouragement in doing it the
right way, rather than forcing the rule generally provides a better
outcome..