[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 17 20:38:45 UTC 2014

On 17/10/14 02:08 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm curious :) So how does that data then get into the myth database
>>> so it can use it?
>>>
>>> Paul H.
>>>
>> Precisely...
>
> Let us be gracious and congratulate Robert on the first
> step he has made to actually address the entire sentence
> he quoted.  Sure, it is only a first step, and there is more
> to do, but I would expect he wishes this to be production
> worthy for the largest customer base of SD, and a logical
> next step will be to be XMLTV compatible output.  I would
> not "kill the messenger" in announcing a work in progress
> as long as there is a stated intent to move towards the
> real goals.  I am, however, waiting for SD to actually
> announce their real goals in this effort.

Part of the problem here is that Mythtv does not NEED XMLTV compatible
output. The mfdb-json grabber parses the JSON and inserts *text* into
the tables.

It would be a nice *next* step for someone to write a parser which takes
the JSON in the new schedulesdirect database and outputs XMLTV. THAT
would make the output available to a much larger group of SD users.

But it is not a necessary step for mythtv users. It might be a sign of
maturity to stop whining that it does not do what you would like it to
do. I would not be surprised to learn that a JSON->XML module already
exists in php and perl. But of course, you would need to have the exact
schema structure unless you want to reverse-engineer from the database.
-
              R. Geoffrey Newbury