[mythtv-users] mythtv netflix hack

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 02:08:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Evuraan <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh another thing, when roku plays,  it pulls in about 800 - 900
> kbytes/second, when chrome does it, it is usually 300 kbytes/second -
> I can't say (from visual feedback) whether the video quality sucks on
> chrome, but probably is sub-par considering the stream size is 1/3rd
> of what roku pulls.

Unless, of course, the two solutions are using different
encodings.  We know that Chrome uses H264, and
at least (1st gen) Rokus used WMV.  And Netflix
will stream different quality encodings to the same
devices depending on (what it thinks) the network
performance is (feeling that a smooth 480i is better
than a jerky and constantly "buffering" 1080p).
It is entirely possible that Chrome and the roku
have different performance calculators.