[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Oct 16 21:23:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Just to be clear, this is not intended as any sort of slight against
> > any of the devs (for whom I have nothing but respect and gratitude),
> > but as for my vote, this is one I hope and pray never gets any
> > traction.  I positively abhor this idea to an extent I almost can't
> > convey...even more than the idea of getting rid of file browse mode in
> > favor of mandatory storage groups...which is actually up there as
> > well.
>
> I am curious as to what functions you think would
> be needed to be exposed from a MythTV appliance
> app (that just happens to use an embedded DB).

Seems like whenever I add channel icons I have to tweak things in the
database.

This last round of channels I added all came as transparent png's which
made many of the logo's hard to see in my theme so I used ImageMagick to
resize and convert them to .jpg's with a white background, then updated the
database to replace all of the '.png' with '.jpg'.  Sure I could have taken
my system offline and used mythtv-setup to change the icon file names on
the few dozen channels...  but DB access saved me tons of time and allowed
me to make the changes while the system was up and running.

I like the separate database personally.