[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 16 20:31:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 06:39:45PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just to be clear, this is not intended as any sort of slight against
> > any of the devs (for whom I have nothing but respect and gratitude),
> > but as for my vote, this is one I hope and pray never gets any
> > traction.  I positively abhor this idea to an extent I almost can't
> > convey...even more than the idea of getting rid of file browse mode in
> > favor of mandatory storage groups...which is actually up there as
> > well.
>
> I am curious as to what functions you think would
> be needed to be exposed from a MythTV appliance
> app (that just happens to use an embedded DB).

    You can manipulate the app by altering data. You can do this
because that data is in a separate standardized module that can be
manipulated with common standardized tools. You can do things that
the developers didn't think of or would not approve of and the bar
for doing that is lowered considerably.

    You don't have to understand the app or it's source code or the
language it's coded in.

    I have had far more trouble with tuners and cable recievers than
I have ever had with the non-embedded mysql database.