[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:24:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:

> On 16/10/14 17:35, Joseph Fry wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Jon Heizer <jheizer at gmail.com <mailto:
>> jheizer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org
>>     <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:09:41PM -0500, Jon Heizer wrote:
>>         > >
>>         > >
>>         > >>
>>         > >>  From that "Actions may be taken in future to actively
>>         block the use of
>>         > > this 'JSON' grabber because of the damage it may cause to
>>         the integrity of
>>         > > the MythTV database."  Elaborate? How does it hurt a
>>         mythtv installation.
>>         > > Are you going to require packagers to include some sort of
>>         non-deletable
>>         > > binary to enforce this policy of actively blocking users
>>         from using their
>>         > > systems the way they want?
>>         > >
>>         > >
>>         >  Do you want a non-MythTV executable modifying your
>>         database?  Are you
>>
>>             I do this all the time actually.
>>
>>             If I were more squeamish about this sort of thing, I would
>>         probably
>>         not be using Linux or MythTV.
>>
>>         > going try to ask MythTV developers to support that in the
>>         future when
>>         > things break?  I think your are taking it all a bit far.
>>
>>             You present a far too tempting target here.
>>
>>         [deletia]
>>

>>     All I am trying to say is everyone needs to stop panicking.
>> Upgrade to .27.4 or make a DNS change and life goes on.  Don't
>>     worry about JSON or anything else.  There have been way too many
>>     emails over a problem that is no longer a problem.
>>

>> The problem is that you think we are panicking.  This JSON upgrade to SD
>> is something to celebrate, not fear. For existing SD users it provides more
>> data, and potentially more flexibility than the existing XML solution.  For
>> folks in the rest of the world it might finally provide them accurate and
>> reliable guide data where they may not have had it before.
>>
>> I think anyone talking about the JSON service is wondering why the
>> community pushed for the workaround that keeps using the old XML data
>> rather than going straight to JSON.  The proof of concept provided by SD
>> works, it could just use some refinement... I think the community could
>> have focused on that and taken a step forward rather than maintaining the
>> status quo.
>>

> If we had been given enough time and a US dev could find time to work on
> it then things would have been done differently. The 1st Nov deadline was a
> surprise to all including SD themselves.
>
> Since there is a working solution that only requires users to update to
> 0.27.4 the heat is off. A solution that uses a grabber in XMLTV that uses
> the JSON service is still considered the way to go so we don't have to
> [...]
Paul,

Robert K announced alpha testing of the JSON grabber on the developer's
mailing list almost a year ago, and has posted occasional updates on status
since then. When I read the notice on the mythtv front page that said that
the JSON grabber had been developed without consulting the myth development
team, (and the general tone of that statement) I thought it must be a joke.

I think it is great that Robert E developed a replacement on the Schedules
direct side of things that made a simple change possible.  I also think
that the work that Robert K and schedules direct are doing to provide even
better listing data is great, and I have been surprised over the last year
that no myth developers have jumped on the bandwagon.  I realize that the
developers have little free time, and have their own itches to scratch, so
I can understand the lack of interest, but it still seems surprising.

I've been using mythtv long enough to remember the bad old days of using
xmltv and its scrapers to get listing data, with the frequent breakage,
having to install a new version of xmltv to fix that, and maybe having to
update mythtv to account for the xmltv changes that had happened between
versions.  I was happy with the zap2it service, but it seemed to break
occasionally.  The schedules direct service has been very reliable, and I
am happy to see that they are working to keep things going smoothly.

I am assuming that with a quality listings source like schedules direct,
the xmltv data can be made as reliable as the current data-direct grabber.

Bill