[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:59:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to be clear, this is not intended as any sort of slight against
>> any of the devs (for whom I have nothing but respect and gratitude),
>> but as for my vote, this is one I hope and pray never gets any
>> traction.  I positively abhor this idea to an extent I almost can't
>> convey...even more than the idea of getting rid of file browse mode in
>> favor of mandatory storage groups...which is actually up there as
>> well.
>
> I am curious as to what functions you think would
> be needed to be exposed from a MythTV appliance
> app (that just happens to use an embedded DB).

I suppose most of my aversion to it comes from being a SQL developer
myself, and being as comfortable as I am with all that.  Turning it
into a black box in that way just rubs the every wrong way possible I
suppose.

Over the years I've manually fixed a number of things that, without
the ability to simply be able to run SQL manually, may have meant
either living with something broken or starting over.  I'm not really
sure what could be done about that.  One recent (though minor) example
was while I was testing the new DD replacement service, when an early
version used seriesids with a prefix that SH that didn't jive with the
EP prefix used by the existing DD server.  I was able to stop the
backend and correct this on tables like oldrecorded etc which were
causing mythweb to not show things as having been recorded.  I know
that's all surgical void-the-warranty sort of stuff ;).  I recall the
switch to a UTF8 database and breakage that would have most likely
meant starting over for sure.

I suppose that, certainly by comparison to a more non-technical user
standpoint, my arguments against aren't very good.

Tom