[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:18:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Tony Lill <ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca> wrote:
>> On 10/15/2014 06:22 PM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>>> Future versions of MythTV won't even use an external database, so
>>> the grabber simply won't be able to function.
>>
>> Am I the only one who noticed this little nugget?
>
> This has been "in the plan" for years.  No current
> active work to accomplish it, but "in the plan".
>
> There are many steps along the way before it
> happens to allow access to the features that
> currently require direct DB access (the
> expanded services API is one).
>
> The reasoning includes (a) Setting up a database
> can be complicated, (b) Tuning a database for
> MythTV has been demonstrated to be complicated
> (c) The business logic for the MythTV tables is
> in the code, not the DB.  That means direct
> updates to the DB tends to result in interesting
> badness.  Providing access only via APIs will
> enforce the business logic  (d) Moving to an
> embedded database would allow consistent
> use of more advanced features (right now, one
> has to be able to run on almost anything).  It
> might even allow moving to another DB if it was
> shown to be more appropriate.
>
> Given the resources available, I would be
> surprised if it happened any time soon, but
> it is "in the plan".

I've heard about this one in passing for a long time.

Just to be clear, this is not intended as any sort of slight against
any of the devs (for whom I have nothing but respect and gratitude),
but as for my vote, this is one I hope and pray never gets any
traction.  I positively abhor this idea to an extent I almost can't
convey...even more than the idea of getting rid of file browse mode in
favor of mandatory storage groups...which is actually up there as
well.

Just MHO.

Tom