[mythtv-users] Notice to Schedules Direct users

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Oct 16 17:03:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I think anyone talking about the JSON service is wondering why the
> community pushed for the workaround that keeps using the old XML data
> rather than going straight to JSON.  The proof of concept provided by SD
> works, it could just use some refinement... I think the community could
> have focused on that and taken a step forward rather than maintaining the
> status quo.

Yes, I was surprised the JSON grabber got no traction, too. It kind of
landed with a thud. Personally, I was a bit put off by the database
modifications so I avoided it. However, it sounds like the long-term plan
is to use that service, but via an XMLTV connector. As the devs have said,
that is preferable as it eliminates the special treatment in
mythfilldatabase for SchedulesDirect (since it will be using the common
XMLTV interface), but it's a fair amount more work to create that connector
(and it also requires changes to XMLTV to fully support the available
data), and the short time frame dictated the workaround which Robert Eden
has provided.

Karl