[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct JSON service on the back burner?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Oct 15 22:53:32 UTC 2014

On 15/10/14 23:17, Joseph Fry wrote:

>     At this time it's not recommended that you use the JSON grabber
>     because it manipulates the database directly and even modifies the
>     schema which _will_ break things in the future.
>
>     See also the news at http://www.mythtv.org/
>
>     Paul H.
>

> Wow... that's a pretty harsh warning against using the JSON grabber.
> The idea that the mythtv developers would even consider blocking it's
> use seems extreme for this community.

I think that was said in the heat of the moment and isn't something we
would do in reality but we can't be seen to promote something that is
only going to give us problems in the future.

> While I understand the risks of the existing JSON grabber, I am just
> disappointed that no effort was made to develop a 'safe' JSON
> solution. I just fear that this workaround will result in little/no
> forward movement toward a JSON solution (haven't seen any discussion
> yet in the dev list, though that's not always indicative of a lack of
> activity)

We don't discuss anything in the public lists because it just attracts
the trolls :(

It is hoped that a grabber will be added to XMLTV that will use the JSON
feed. The XMLTV lead developer has said he is open to extending the xml
to add new data if required. There may even be someone working on it has
we speak but I couldn't possibly say ;)

Paul H.