[mythtv-users] Poor recording of races only

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 20:39:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Yippee Three-eight <yp_38 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> They seem to change at random times.  I can recheck them and they will be
> almost exactly the same, but then I'll check them again later (after being
> tuned the whole time) and the numbers will be significantly different.

Some place you have RF leakage.  It could be outside your
house or inside, but significantly changing levels means you
are going to see random artifacts.

The most likely places are the connectors themselves,
but it could also be the cables (broken shield).  And if you
have any splitters or amps that have unconnected outputs,
put a terminator on them.  It only takes one bad connector,
open connection, shield breakage in the entire system to
allow RF in.

Also, if you have a wireless access point near your computer,
or a micro-cell repeater nearby, move them away for testing.

The first thing I would do is connect the InfiniTV directly
to the cable that comes off the cable demark.  If you still see
artifacts, call the cable company and get them to repair
the cable coming to your home.  And if that works well,
you may be able to do a binary search for the failing
cable/connector/device.  Replace everything suspect.
If you cannot show it is good, presume it is bad.

Note that if you need the Motorola amp just to get anything,
the signals coming into your residence are probably too
low (unless you have multiple splitters after it).  All cable
companies target a signal level that should work with a
few two-way splitters.  If you *need* it to get anything,
call the cable company.  Something is wrong.