[mythtv-users] New MythTV feature - background image on list of recorded shows

Tom Wheeler tomwheel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:03:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> A couple of days ago a new feature showed up in MythTV. It appears that a
> frame of the show is now used as the background for the list of recorded
> shows. It's a nice idea for those who like that kind of thing, but it also
> makes reading the list harder, due to issues of contrast and color.
>
> Is this a feature that can be turned on and off? If so, where would I find
> that setting?

Hi Dick,

I had the same problem a few weeks ago following an update. This appears to
be a property of the theme, and I did not see a way to disable it through
the UI. I otherwise liked the look of the 'mythtv-wide' theme, so here's my
hack to fix it (which you must repeat on each frontend):

1. ssh into the computer running mythtv

2. Type "sudo cp -R MythCenter-wide MythCenter-wide-mod" to make a copy of
the original theme (this is on Mythbuntu, so your path may vary).

3. Edit MythCenter-wide-mod/themeinfo.xml and change the value of the
your custom theme to be called). I also updated the <description> element
further down in that file to mention when I made the change and why (in
case I forget three years from now).

4. Edit MythCenter-wide-mod/recordings-ui.xml file and comment out (or
delete) the <imagetype name="fanart"> element near the top.

5. Go to Setup on the frontend and you should see your new theme appear.
Select it, and the coverart should no longer be shown.

Note that the thumbnail image in the lower right corner will still show
fanart when available (instead of a small thumbnail of the actual
recording), but that didn't bother me so I didn't change it.

Hope that helps-

Tom