[mythtv-users] MythTV and Python 3

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 14 08:05:27 UTC 2014

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:06:35 +0200, you wrote:

>>> Mythbuntu 14.04, MythTV 0.27+fixes
>>>
>>> I was just looking at using Python for another MythTV script and I
>>> realised I should be writing it in Python 3 now that Python 2 is
>>> deprecated.  So I grabbed one of the MythTV scripts I downloaded a
>>> while ago (tunerstatus.py) and converted it to Python 3 to see if it
>>> would work.  But this is what I got:
>>>
>>> root at mypvr:~# tunerstat.py
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>    File "/usr/local/bin/tunerstat.py", line 6, in <module>
>>>      from MythTV import MythDB, MythBE
>>> ImportError: No module named 'MythTV'
>>>
>>> So it looks like the MythTV package(s) are not installed for Python 3.
>>> I have only dabbled in Python so far - I am far from an expert.  So I
>>> was wondering if anyone had run across this and if there was an easy
>>> solution, or whether I have to keep using Python 2 for now.
>>>
>>> And in general, what is the state of play with MythTV and Python 3?
>>> Are the MythTV bindings Python 3 compatible?  Is anyone working on
>>> moving MythTV scripts to Python 3?
>> It doesn't matter if it is compiled with python 2 or 3, that error just
>> means that Python can't find the Mythtv module. Check so that you have
>> access to the mythtv modules in your site packages for python.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andréas
> Yes, I figured that was what the error meant.  But the Python 2 MythTV
> packages are installed automatically as part of MythTV on Mythbuntu,
> so I have no idea as yet how to install them for Python 3 or if they
> would work if I did.  Synaptic says they are in the libmyth-python deb
> package and install to /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MythTV/ in
> Mythbuntu 14.04.

Hi Stephen,

Slight case of synchronicity. I was just trying a python 2 module (not
mythtv) under python 3 and I simply copied the relevant files from
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ to
/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/. The module was found by
python3.2 but crashed because it's not refactored for python 3. Maybe
you'll have better luck with the mythtv module(s).

David