[mythtv-users] MythGallery: selecting a favorite picture as directory thumb

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 12 19:53:08 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 19:23, Angela wrote:
> I had a one hour glance at the new code, and saw code/algorithms from the
> existing version implemented.
> Stuart moved the thumbnail generation to the backend, suppose this should be
> working.
>
> Even my patch for 0.27 https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12278, as far as
> I am able to interpret the code is implemented.
> Cdraw support is removed, but also on a 4-core cpu this is too slow for a
> slideshow. Also megapixels are getting higher with newer cameras, making it
> IMHO very uninteresting. Building thumbnails from a directory with 100
> images will halt your system.
>
> Can you be more specific what is broken and incomplete?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28
> I am only familiar with changes from JYA (-fixes) and the uPNP stuff. I
> hoped to find some more information on what is worked on, besides Bug fixing
> which I can find in trac.
>
> Angela

What's missing from the old MythGallery plugin is the image viewer
screen is not using MythUI. In fact IIRC there are two versions of that
screen one uses Qt and one uses OpenGL. The only other thing missing is
support for Storage Groups. Apart from that the old plugin works well
IMHO. That's not to say it can't be improved.

What's missing from the new Gallery is it simply doesn't work at all on
remote FE's. I can't test it but I hear it doesn't work well on combined
FE/BE machines either bringing the BE to it's knees when scanning for
images. It does have storage group support but all the file options like
renaming, moving, deleting files/directories are missing. You can't just
plugin your camera and move the images on it into your gallery like you
can with the old plugin. The zoom doesn't work properly for example the
default zoom will crop your images rather than fill the screen, Don't
think any of the slide show options have been implemented but I could be
wrong since I can't get it to work at all on my remote FE. I'm sure
there are other things I've missed.

Paul H.