[mythtv-users] MythGallery: selecting a favorite picture as directory thumb

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 12 15:54:26 UTC 2014

On 12/10/14 14:38, Angela wrote:
>> Firstly, be aware that this plugin is
> deprecated https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/9dadc429404358b0d247f259d9
> 9d017a4c6fdaeb/mythtv
>> A new core image manager has appeared in 0.28
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/c1ba0b843608728b75df57fd0973466e86d99
> 95d/mythtv
>
> >From March to October 2013, MythGallery was modified/copied
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/e8d61278fae965848fa6e86d8607856d85c28
> cb5/mythtv
> Added all gallery related files to the mythfrontend. This includes files
> that handle the navigation, thumbnail generation, settings, interaction with
> the database and the actual display of the image or a slideshow.
>
> commit 829e52fc4a39aa84ce225a7a062383773d11fae4
> commit ec0e45f3d114c1d6f06388742c876043529aa6b3
> commit 307ae285dc35c6582ebea81a1632299cdf33e0ca
> commit 9b42c22c4d757a21f0e7d4187b0926e62c3adb7f
>
> Look for gallery* and image* source files.
>
> Like Mythvideo you need to scan on changes and images are saved in the db.
> The directories are persisted in gallery_directories table.
>
>              "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS gallery_directories ("
>              "  dir_id       INT(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,"
>              "  filename     VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,"
>              "  name         VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,"
>              "  path         VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,"
>              "  parent_id    INT(11) NOT NULL,"
>              "  dir_count    INT(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',"
>              "  file_count   INT(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',"
>              "  hidden       TINYINT(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'"
>
> Thumbnail creation for the directory is in
> "./libs/libmythmetadata/imagethumbgenthread.cpp"
>
>      // If a folder thumbnail shall be created we need to get
>      // the real filename from the thumbnail filename by removing
>      // the configuration directory and the MythImage path
>      if (im->m_type == kSubDirectory ||
>          im->m_type == kUpDirectory)
>      {
>          imageFileName = im->m_thumbFileNameList->at(id);
>          imageFileName =
> imageFileName.mid(GetConfDir().append("/MythImage/").count());
>      }
>
> For me it is not clear if a file is needed. Logic like *highlight* is not
> found in the code anymore.
>
> As Gallery will be using a DB in 0.28, I will wait with my adaptions till
> after the release.

The new Gallery was written by a contributor and was committed without
much testing in the hope that someone (the patch author?) would continue
developing it but unfortunately that didn't happen.

What we have now is pretty broken and incomplete so at this stage it's
not clear what will happen to it. It may be easier to add MythUI and
storage group support to the existing gallery plugin than try to fix the
new Gallery and add all the missing features?

Paul H.