[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 01:00:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM, David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.us> wrote:
>> The notion of packaging a list of receivable broadcast stations
>> based on my postal ZIP code is fundamentally wrong.
>
> The lists aren't receivable stations, but conceivably possible
> receivable stations.

Well, not exactly.  While I moved a while ago,
I used to have an OTA deep fringe antenna with
mast mounted preamp mounted quite high
(lived on a tall "hill"), with a rotor, that could
pick up stations in three different markets
(there were no local broadcasters, I lived in
the middle of no where; OTA reception required
some effort).  The distance between markets
was around 100 miles.  No lineup is going
to cover that.  And there were some interesting
reflections that allowed me to pick up an even
further away broadcaster.  If I still lived there,
I have no doubt that by now I would have
installed multiple dual deeper fringe antennas
(likely even targeted frequency ones), and
likely a tall tower.  Yes, it would have been an
over-engineered solution from an EE.  But it
is all "conceivably" possible.

SD has to make some guesses as to what
normal people do, with normal antennas, in
normal markets.  It works well much of the
time.  Not in all "conceivable" cases.

I recall a statement from Robert that the new
service will allow people to get broadcasters
to their lineup to handle the strange cases
(and I would have been one).  There are
always strange cases with OTA.