[mythtv-users] Post mythbuntu upgrade (1204->1404) == video crashes & lockups

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Oct 9 20:52:02 UTC 2014

On 03/10/14 14:44, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> Hi-yas,
>
> I upgraded my mythbox today to try to fix some other problems we were
> experiencing.
> I did a 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade 12.04 to 14.04.
>
> Everything went mostly smoothly, looking perfect in face.
>
> But now it *looks* like we're getting system lockups playing back video.
> (it may be locking up independant of what it's doing, but I doubt it).
> I'm not 100% sure what's up, but there's video corruption, black bars,
> red-screens, etc. etc. then a few seconds later the box locks up.
> It does run OK for about 20 minutes sometimes.

Just to finish-up this thread:

The mythbuntu installer (14.04.01) completely failed to work on my machine
(Core2Duo, onboard nvidia 9400, 8G ram).
It would install OK, but then crash or reboot, usually with screen
corruption, within 30 minutes (usually ~10min).
These problems were exacerbated by high disk I/O load.

One particularly crappy aspect of this is that it looks for all the world
like a hardware failure.

I re-installed Mythbuntu from the 12.04.04, and the box is running perfectly.

So for the time being (check date of this post) do not install Mythbuntu
14.04 if you have an nVidia 4-digit-series video card (e.g.: 9400, 8600, etc.)

cheers,
-kt