[mythtv-users] [OT] Ugrading Mythbuntu 12.04 -> 14.04 "broke" my server hardware.

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Oct 8 22:23:55 UTC 2014

On 08/10/14 21:29, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> On 08/10/14 06:52, Kingsley Turner wrote:
>> G'day,
>>
>> You may have noticed in a previous email that I was having troubles
>> after upgrading mythbuntu via "do-release-upgrade".
>> I chose to do this upgrade because I was having a couple of minor
>> problems, and guessed this might help.
>> One of them turned out to be a simple config problem.  *sigh*.
>>
>> Anyway ...
>>
>> After a word of pain after the upgrade, I backed up, and re-installed
>> from a mythbuntu 14.01.1 live disk.
>> However I encountered the same problems I had after the in-place
>> upgrade, notably: video corruption and lockups.
>> At the time I figured it was a nvidia driver version mismatch caused by
>> some incorrect bits left over after years of upgrading.
>>
>> Not so it seems.
>>
>> I saw the same problems, and lack of stability with the nouveau driver,
>> the latest mythbuntu-packaged nvidia driver, and the nvidia driver
>> download from nvidia.com.
>>
>> I don't fn() get it.
>>
>> This box was rock-solid stable before that upgrade, and now with high
>> activity, it can barely stay up for 10 minutes.
>> Surely this can't be a new kernel or suchlike ?!?
>>
>> I'm starting to think that I managed to time a hardware failure in
>> coincidence with a software upgrade!
>> But surely not?  I don't know, it sure looks it.
>>
>> Any sage advice ?
>> How do you even debug something like this.
>>
>> I guess I'll fire off the grub memory checker (I did run it for 1/2 an
>> hour the other day).
> I did the same upgrade just over a week ago on my BE/FE with only minor
> problems with xmltv and mythnettv, nothing graphics related. I have a
> GT610 and use the nvidia driver version 331.38.

I've now re-installed Mythbuntu 12.04.04, it's been up for some hours
without a problem.
(I always erase the disk on install)

I have copied alot of the record-programmes backup onto the main disk again
(this caused lockups before).
But I have not yet rebooted after the updates were applied.  The DKMS(sp?)
process did fail trying to update some kernel module of the install though.
The update window locked up on the first go, and after re-trying I got this
failure (running in a shell).

Interestingly, even booting the install disk (both 12.04.04 and 14.04.01) I
get a couple of random coloured characters on the display before it goes
into graphics mode for the mythbuntu graphical booting-splash.

I'm so confident the box actually has a hardware problem that I've already
selected replacements, and after 3 days of no  myth-tv, the SO has approved
the purchase.  So the 12.04 re-install is just to convince myself to spend
the money.

Still fingers crossed but.

cheers,
-kt