[mythtv-users] New Mythbuntu 14.04 battle with nvidia boot up

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Oct 6 22:44:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I've battled this problem before, but I either stumbled on to
> the solution and didn't really know how I fixed it or the rules have
> changed and I don't know the new solution. :-(
>
> I have a system that works perfectly fine with the old Mythbuntu
> image, but when I swap out the system disk and use another one that
> I'm installing Mythbuntu 14.04 on, it gets hung up on boot 99% of the
> time.  I reboot into the recovery mode and hit enter a couple of times
> and voila! the system comes up successfully.
>
> I've tried a variety of settings for /etc/default/grub entries
> "GRUB_GFXMODE" and "GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX" with and without the file
> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash containing the single line
> "FRAMEBUFFER=y".
>
> Each time I make a change I go through the magic incantations:
>     update-initramfs -u -k all
>     update-grub
> before I try a reboot to see whether that works.
>
> I've been trying to work with the nvidia-304 package which supports
> the GeForce 7300 GS video card I have installed, in case that affects
> any advice you might offer.
>
> At the moment, I've removed the nvidia-304 and nvidia-settings
> packages, rebooted with the nvidia driver uninstalled.  I have created
> the aforementioned /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash file, set both
> GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768, and
> reinstalled the nvidia packages again.  I expect that when I reboot,
> this will still lock up on boot and leave me with a blank screen as
> usual.  Barring any brilliant inspiration (or words of wisdom from the
> list), I think it's time to call it a day and go watch some recorded
> shows. ;-)
>
> This is driving me mad.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on how
> to get out of this trap.
>
> --
> Craig.

I'm just going to throw this out there, since it happened to me and it
looked like it was hanging (only sometimes though) on boot. Do you
have multiple video cards in the system (eg. maybe an onboard intel
one and the nvidia)? Occassionally mine would boot and make the
onboard one the primary video card and leave the other one with
nothing on it (just a blinking cursor). I thought it was hanging on
boot, but once I disabled the onboard one in the BIOS it worked fine.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos