[mythtv-users] Conditional custom recording rule

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:51:25 UTC 2014

Hoi Nicolas,

> Am 06.10.2014, 14:00 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:

>> Message: 9
>> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 00:42:26 +1300
>> From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
>> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Conditional custom recording rule
>>On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 23:45:01 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering if this use case is possible.
>>>
>>> We normally record the local CTV news at 6pm. On weekends, depending on
>>> sports schedules, they don't air a 6pm news at all, pre-empting it for the
>>> game.
>>>
>>> We can't just schedule another local news just in case because we already
>>> have another show recording and we have just two tuners.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to say in a rule something like this:
>>>
>>> "If there isn't a show with the title 'CTV News' airing at 6pm on CFTO
>>> record  'Evening News' on CIII-HD instead"
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>You could try having a rule for the CTV News with a high priority on
>> it, and another rule for the "other local news" with a low priority.
>> So it will normally record both if enough tuners are available, but if
>> it runs out of tuners and gets a conflict, the low priority "other
>> local news" will not record.
> While I do not want to deny that this will work, I - personally -
> rate the proposed solution by Hika higher (quoted below), because
> the mentioned priority battle always will generate warnings about conflicting recordings.
> Again - this is only optics and technically it will work - but to
> leave respect to "real" conflict warnings it would be better to avoid known ones.

> Am 06.10.2014, 14:00 Uhr, schrieb <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>:

>> Another thought. Keep your normal rule for ctv news in place and add
>> another rule that records one show daily at 6 o'clock whose title
>> contains 'news' or whatever with as prerequisitive that the 6 o'clock
>> ctv news is missing! I think there are sql rules to that effect
>> around.
> This sounds serendipitly interesting, though I don't have a use case for it! ;-)
> I just checked the examples in the create recording rule screen,
> but did not found something similar. Do you have an example (link)?

> Nicolas

I probably could get such a clause working, but I don't know the
available variables and the Mythtv specific syntax, if there is.
I first should have to search for those. I'll think about the SQL
syntax and leave the variables open for now. Coming back if I have
something before anybody else does.
It could be interesting for me too. The 8 o'clock news here normally
is on the first channel, but sometimes (Olympics) moves to the second.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop