[mythtv-users] Intel NUC DN2820FYKH frontend build

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sat Oct 4 12:50:45 UTC 2014

On 01/10/14 21:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:
>> I still have to decide if I run mythbuntu on that (kinda easier) or
>> install Gentoo (as I use on all my servers/laptops/etc ).
>>
> I used to use minimyth on a frontend and it drove me
> nuts because it had its own way of doing everything and it wasn't
> in-sync with Gentoo.

For further improvement of Minimyth2 - may You pls give more details?
I'll be happy to address those issues.

> In general mythtv does not guarantee
> compatibility between different builds even within the same major
> version.
I must say my experience is opposite. Being with MythTV since 0.16 I can
say MythTV policy for heterogeneous runtime environments is strict and
well implemented.  In last 6-7 years I had distributed system where
multiple FE are on minimyth/minimyth2 while BE was on: knoppmyth,
linhes, debian, ubuntu, archlinux, my own distro.
I don't remember SINGLE situation when having issue - this issue root
cause was within MythTV and FE and BE were conforming rule of the same
major MythTV ver.
I'm trying to say: as long as runtime environment is OK - distributed
setups of MythTV on heterogeneous runtime environments works really well
for me.

I think bad MythTV opinion of some ppl with heterogeneous runtime
environments is false positive about MythTV fragility to heterogeneity
of runtime environment.

> So, if you run multiple distros it will be hard to keep them
> all in sync.
Usually subtle runtime issues are triggering MythTV behaviors which are
classified as MythTV root causes - while in reality they are  runtime
environment issues. MythTV is quite demanding app. (more than avg.
distro designed to avg. office/home usage).

My general observation is stability of pure GNU/Linux (with major
upstreams strategy to conform their design/implementation goals)
constantly improves and already exceed stability of most famous
distributions where major goal seems to be address biggest possible HW
variety and widest usage scenarios.
Good estimator of above is comparison of natures community complains for
ArchLinux/Gentoo vs Ubuntu.
That's why I'm believer of appliance approach to things like MythTV FE
and server-like to BE.

As always YMMV.