[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 00:52:22 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> On 2014-10-03 1:58 PM, Josh Mastronarde wrote:
>>

>> I'll chime in as another who would rather not have to upgrade right now;
>> running 0.24 on some older Fedora (16?), and it all works well right now,
>> reasonable WAF etc.  I do want to do a full OS and Myth fresh upgrade
>> relatively soon, but that never goes completely pain-free; usually not due
>> to Myth itself but to annoying "enhancements" (Nouveau drivers that are hard
>> to kill, PulseAudio, LIRC incompatibilities, NetworkManager have all tripped
>> my installs up in the past, but Myth database update hangs were an issue at
>> one point).
>>

> I'd also like to chime in on this -- I've barely been reading the thread but
> it has me worried.
>
> My Myth Server is on CentOS 6.5 while I'm still running 0.25.something.
>
> I know there's an update out there to 0.26 -- but this server is also my
> file server and Zoneminder server and all sorts of other things.
> Switching over to another PC when I've already standardized this one (and
> it's been rock solid) seems... well, like a pain. I'd rather really not.
>
> With that - I'd really like to see updates on the RH/CentOS/ScientificLinux
> if possible.
>
>  -Ben

You should both look at mailing list thread with the subject
"Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing".

That describes a simple change to the /etc/hosts file on your backend
that will redirect the calls that get listings to the new replacement
for the existing DataDirect.  That new server creates a layer that
gets the data from the new source and delivers it in a way that's
identical to the existing DD server.  That change to /etc/hosts should
be *all* you have to change.

If your existing version is working with SD using DataDirect now, the
replacement should work just fine with no code changes and without
upgrading at all.  That is, mythfilldatabase won't even know (or need
to know) that the listings are coming from a new source.

It's still more or less beta but should be working quite will before Nov 1.

Tom