[mythtv-users] Nvidia drop support for more 'legacy' GPUs

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 03:21:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
> Its a long list but includes
>
> GeForce 100/200/300/400
> GeForce 8 & 9 Series (includes my onboard 8300)
> Not sure if it includes the ION 9M and ION2 200 series
>
> All as from version 343 - 340 is the last 'usable' for me.

The 343 driver supports the 400 series (but does
appear to drop the rest).  But otherwise, your point
is valid.  nVidia has had a habit of dropping support
of older cards from their "universal" drivers (I guess
the term "universal" is not what I think it means).
Their "universal" driver used to be a targeted
marketing poke in the ribs to their main
competitor (ATI) driver versioning (which left old
cards unsupported).  I guess nVidia learned that
lesson.

One question (which only nVidia can not answer
(they do not talk about future features)) is whether
full wayland support will be backported to the 340
drivers.  If not, that may leave a lot of people with
some hard choices down the road.