[mythtv-users] Schedules direct JSON information compared to XMLTV information and mythmetadatalookup

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:06:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM, jrh <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Understood regarding the metadata grabber supporting a commercial service. What could be interesting is that the raw data from Schedules Direct contains almost all the data that would be fetched by the metadata lookup and doesn't have to be 'screen scraped'.

I am confused.  All the free and commercial services have
formal APIs (some better than others) that one can access
(with appropriate licensing for the commercial ones).  No
"screen scraping" required (nor, in most cases, allowed
by the commercial sources terms of service/usage).

The Schedules Direct APIs are certainly not documented
(if they even exist) for general metadata queries (of, say,
existing movies, or audio, or previously recorded content)
[you need more than just upcoming recorded information,
you also want to obtain historical information for content
you already have], but as Gracenote has that information
(and presuming Schedules Direct is licensing it), it seems
that if there is sufficient interest, it might be able to be
added at some point.  But this is conjecture as to what
Schedules Direct wants to become.