[mythtv-users] Intel NUC DN2820FYKH frontend build

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Wed Oct 1 19:09:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:

> I still have to decide if I run mythbuntu on that (kinda easier) or
> install Gentoo (as I use on all my servers/laptops/etc ).

So, I maintain the package on Gentoo and I'll say this.

I suspect that getting a front-end running on mythbuntu is likely to
be easier.  Getting an all-in-one box running on mythbuntu is also
likely to be easier.

On the other hand, if you intend to run some components like a backend
on Gentoo, and other components on Mythbuntu, then give the matter
careful thought.  I used to use minimyth on a frontend and it drove me
nuts because it had its own way of doing everything and it wasn't
in-sync with Gentoo.  In general mythtv does not guarantee
compatibility between different builds even within the same major
version.  So, if you run multiple distros it will be hard to keep them
all in sync.

For Gentoo I do approximately monthly fixes branch releases, but
they're not coordinated with any other distro.  I suspect the same is
true elsewhere.  If there were some kind of routine numbered release
system where all the distros all released the same patches at the same
time I'd be more than happy to participate, but that doesn't exist as
far as I'm aware.  Anybody can just go into fixes/0.27 and cut a
release at any time.

So, I'd give good thought to running a uniform environment.  Actually,
these days you should consider sticking things like the back-end in a
container anyway - there is nothing that prevents you from running
Mythbuntu in a container hosted on a Gentoo system, and other than
some extra RAM for shared libraries it wouldn't cost you too much to
do it that way.  These days I'm sticking most of my new services in
containers even if they're Gentoo on Gentoo just so that when I do
updates the damage is contained.

--
Rich