[mythtv-users] Mythbackend not binding IPv6 ULA

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 23:26:33 UTC 2014

On 27 November 2014 at 03:45, Rob <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another quirk is that while I'm able to tell Myth to listen for calls to its
> hostname under the ipv4 address selection, no such option is available for
> the ipv6 field. If this were available under the ipv6 field, the problem
> should go away because the resolution will get updated each time my ISP
> signs me a new prefix. Perhaps I can try manually overriding this in MySQL,
> but that test will have to wait until I finish moving and can unpack all of
> my belongings again.

this is a wrong assumption once again.. there are no fundamental
differences between IPv4 and IPv6.
You can select ONE IPv4 mythbackend will listen on, and ONE IPv6...

You can't tell mythbackend to listen to multiple IPv4 addresses at
once. You must select from the drop down list which.
Want myth to use your ULA address? then start mythtv-setup, select
general and select it from the drop down list there.

You can't enter a hostname for that address, you have to select an IP
address which is the IP myth will listen on. That's the same be it
IPv4 or IPv6

If that machine is also your master backend, then enter that address there.

Mind you, for the master address, this is not a hostname (nor an IP
address) per say. It's the name you've assigned for that backend, and
that's how myth identify those machines internally.
Traditionally, people have used IP addresses as myth device name, and
that's why you often see an IP address there. But it doesn't have to
be.

It is *NOT* the same as a DNS name (even though you can make it to be the same)

There is nothing to fix here, nor is there anything broken

You may wish that it was possible to configure myth to listen to
multiple addresses of your choice, but that's a different topic.