[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing and VAAPI in CentOS 7 ?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 07:29:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Andrey Zhunev <a-j at a-j.ru> wrote:
> Am I right assuming that xorg-x11-drv-intel is the issue? I guess EPEL
> does not offer this package...

My recollection is the package you want is (or was)
named libva-intel-driver.  I do not believe it is in EPEL
but I seem to recall the source is available from Intel's
VAAPI repo at 01.org and was available via package
in rpmfusion for previous RHEL revisions (7 is not
yet available), but it seems possible that you might
be able to try the F19 version (since RHEL 7 is "like"
F19).

> On the other hand, do I need VAAPI at all? I read earlier that
> deinterlacing is not supported by VAAPI - at least by some early
> versions of it. So maybe it is still the case, and getting VAAPI to
> work won't help me to get deinterlacing running?

The answer is "it depends".  The deinterlacing available
depends on the specific GPU, but in general it is
agreed that they are not as good as the nVidia ones.
However, they may be "good enough", depending on
your needs.

Alternatively, depending (again) on the specific GPU
you may want to attempt to let MythTV run the display
in the modes that lets the display do the scaling and
deinterlacing (many higher end TVs do a better job
than some GPUs).  I seem to recall there is an article
in the wiki on how to configure it.

And, of course, as some people point out, software
decoding can be as good, and sometimes better,
than any particular hardware implementation (if your
cpu is powerful enough).