[mythtv-users] Mythbackend not binding IPv6 ULA

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 25 12:42:08 UTC 2014

On 25/11/14 12:23, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 20 November 2014 at 01:28, Rob Jensen <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't even think to explicitly define the IPv6 address in the Master
>> Backend IP address field.  Once I changed that from the hostname to the
>> specific ULA, everything began working again.  I'll submit a bug ticket,
>> hopefully the fix is relatively easy.
>
> there's no bug here.
>
> You need to define the IP address the backend is going to listen on.
> It's per design
>
> Only link-local and local addresses are listened on automatically.

For information, is there any philosophical reason why the Master Backend has to
be identified by using an IPv4 / IPv6 address?

I thought the whole idea of using DNS was that one could get away from
remembering strings of numbers and just use hostnames.

Using an IP address (of some sort) made sense when home networks were maybe 2-3
machines per household. My own network is much more complex than that... things
get added and removed all the time, and I keep track with a single dhcp.conf
file in my reference server that drives local DNS as well. Presently, there are
three machines on my networks with fixed addresses: that server, the router /
firewall and the Myth MBE.

--

Mike Perkins