[mythtv-users] How to import w_scan channels.conf for a pctv tripleStick 292e?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 24 11:58:02 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 08:07 AM, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 03:04:52PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 01:38:43 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have performed a scan with w_scan that successfully found the DVB-T2 channels
>>> as well as the ordinary DVB-T channels of my new pctv tripleStick 292e.
>>>
>>> I set the output format to tzap but in MythTV 0.27.4 I can no longer find the
>>> option to import an existing channels.conf file.
>>>
>>> I think it used to be under the Input Connections / Scan type in mythtv-setup,
>>> but it seems to have been (re)moved.
>>>
>>> How should I do?
>>>
>>> I am running Debian 7.7 with a 3.11 kernel from backports.
>> If you write SQL, then you can put the channels.conf file into a
>> format that is CSV compatible, then use the SQL ability to load a CSV
>> file into a new database table, and then use SQL to update the
>> channels table and others from the data in the new table, before
>> deleting your extra table.  I did that for my DVB-S channels from
>> SkyTV here in New Zealand.  There were 140+ channels to deal with, so
>> it was far too much to add manually.  If you would like to take a look
>> at the code I used, let me know and I can post it on my web server for
>> you.
> Thanks for the answer!
>
> Although I know some SQL I was hoping for a more recommended way of importing
> the channels.conf.

There is none (the output of the various external channel scanners
differs between programs/versions and doesn't provide all the
information we need, so we dropped support for importing those files).
The recommended approach for getting your channel list is to use the

> Maybe there is a way to have MythTV actually scan/find the DVB-T2 channels and
> not have to use an external application such as w_scan?

mythtv-setup channel scanner.

Mike