[mythtv-users] System hangs occasionally -- more memory didn't solve the problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 24 11:17:24 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 11:42 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Sunday, November 23, 2014, 11:52:15 PM, you wrote:
>> On 11/23/2014 4:00 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> If the problem could be related to the frontend running a long time
>>> without doing anything, I'll try shutting down the front end when not
>>> watching the TV and see if that changes anything. I generally just
>>> exit back to the main menu of the front end when finished watching for
>>> the evening.
>>>
>> For me it happened because the FE went into standby mode when using the
>> mythbuntu theme. To test it I set the standby mode to kick in after a
>> minute and then started a recording on the BE after the FE was in
>> standby mode; top showed the FE CPU usage increasing from 2% to 20%.
> Are you using opengl for your frontend? I've vague idea that switching
> to qt might solve it.

If it does (and I'm not saying I doubt it does--this would make perfect
sense), it just means that the problem is your video drivers failing to
re-initialize properly after standby--at which point you may need to do
something such as restart X or even stop X/unload video driver/reload
video driver in your wakeup script.  And if it doesn't, I'd suspect some
other driver problems (maybe one that's easier to unload/reload on wake).

Oh, and if switching to Qt paint engine "solves" the problem (really,
just avoids it), you probably still want to fix the problem since the
OpenGL paint engine is better and better tested than the Qt engine.  You
will have some issues, especially with certain themes, if you use the Qt
paint engine.

Mike