[mythtv-users] mythbackend causing server to show significant load at time (resolved)

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sun Nov 23 00:53:29 UTC 2014

Sounds to me like possible HD access overload!

Tot mails,
    Hika

So you mean HD as in hard drive I assume.  I have the database on a separate spindle
than the recordings. I am using two backends and on my main backend I have two
storage directories on separate spindles but I wonder if it is actually splitting
my recordings between the different storage directories.  Do you have any hints on
how I can verify that the problem is an hd access issue?

I wanted to update how I got this resolved.  I tried to un-fragment the video files,
tried to modify the file system mount options and a few other things and nothing
really worked.  Then someone mentioned overloading the sata bus.  I only have a four
port sata on my motherboard and all are being used with, OS Hard Drive, two seperate
video HD's and a sata dvd player.  Because of this I purchased a pci sata card with
two ports. I took my one recording Hard Drive off of the on board SATA and moved it
to the new pci card and now my pixelated recordings have stopped.  I do not know if
it is just a bad port or too much traffic on the on board sata but either way it is
resolved. Oh and this also resolved the significant load on the main backend.
Everything points to this being a getting data off of the hard drive error free
problem.