[mythtv-users] Patches that improve mythcommflag accuracy

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Nov 21 06:37:10 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 1:24 PM, Carl Hunter wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 6:48 AM, Carl Hunter wrote:
>>     Yes, I still get the numerous decoding errors not just the one at
>>     the end.  My HD recordings show one error at the end but still
>>     detect commercials fine.  I'll look into changing the recording
>>     settings some more.  Your point about different kernels has me
>>     questioning things too.  I have a test box running Mythbuntu 11.10
>>     with Myth 0.24 on it.  I'll see if I can update the kernel on that
>>     one and compare results.
>>
>>     Yes, I'm using HVR-1600's.  Sorry for the typo.  When using the
>>     analog side of the card mythcommflag fails the same way on those
>>     recordings.  I also record using the S-Video and RCA inputs
>>     depending on the different set-ups I've got, not the "cable" input.
>>     Not sure if that makes a difference with my recordings either.  I
>>     wonder if the part that "combines" the audio and video on these
>>     cards has changed with new kernel drivers.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
>>     Carl
>>

> I've been using these patches ever since your PVR-150 typecast fix was added to 0.27-fixes and have only seen positive results.  My testing is only "watching" recordings.  HD recordings still seem to be fine but SD recordings are much better.  Where I wasn't getting any commercial flags even after running the rebuild on the recordings I'm now getting the right number of flagged commercials.  Not all "marks" are perfect but they're definitely on par with Myth 0.24 if not better.  So what's the next step to get this added to the 0.27-fixes branch?  Have you seen any negative results?
>
> Thanks again for all your work.
>
> Carl

Hi Carl,

I'm glad my patches are working well for you. They are being reviewed by one of the devs. I believe his initial testing has been mostly positive, although he's got one recording where accuracy dropped by about half. I've shared a patch that helps that one recording, but doesn't help others. So ...

Anyone else have feedback on the patches?

Regards,
Helen