[mythtv-users] mythtv frontend startup beautification

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Nov 19 15:30:36 UTC 2014

On 19/11/14 14:49, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After recently reinstalling my mythtv frontend and then tuning the startup
> down to several seconds (<10 from 0 to mythdesktop)  there is still
> something that bothers me.
>
> all the screens flashing by while the system boots
> * ugly ascii grub (because of the nvidia drivers there is no nice animation)
> * ugly ascii bar filling up (again nvidia drivers to blame)
> * lxde desktop popping up for a very short tim
> * white screen hiding the lxde desktop
> * black screen hiding the white screen
> * mythtv screen building up.
>
> does anybody know how to dump a splash screen over it (animated hourglass
> or something like it ) to hide all that untill the frontend is ready for
> action ?

It is possible that you'll never get rid of some of that since it is interaction
between your video card and your TV.

For example, mine goes through the grub boot-up sequence - and I'll add here
that I deliberately leave the startup console visible since I want to know if
something goes wrong - and then the TV switches to all blue for a while when the
HDMI signal disappears. After about 2-5 seconds it goes black as the card goes
from text to graphic mode and then the main menu appears.

I'm also using LXDE and I have never seen the desktop.

You haven't told us which distribution you're using: I know there are splash
screens available for most these days.

--

Mike Perkins