[mythtv-users] LCD Does Not Display Backend Status

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:51:11 UTC 2014

On 11/18/14 8:14 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 12:22 PM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> On 11/17/14 2:54 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>>> I have upgraded to a new MythTV machine (combined FE/BE), with a
>>> fresh install of mythbuntu 14.04.1 (0.27.4-fixes).   The LCD does
>>> display frontend activity (clock, menu navigation, recording
>>> playback, etc.), but does not display any BE status (recording). I
>>> checked and the show backend info checkbox is checked in the
>>> setup.    Any ideas on how to fix this?  I have rebooted, restarted
>>> the FE and BE in different orders, and still no joy.
>> I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if you've already
>> tried this:  Did you check your LCDproc settings to make sure they
>> match what your display is actually capable of? There's a chance that
>> the display isn't showing recording status because it's being "drawn"
>> on a row your display doesn't possess.
>>
>> You might also try setting it to use the "curses" driver with
>> something large-ish like "Size=20x4", so that you can see the output
>> in your terminal. This is in LCDd.conf.
> I'm using the lis LCDd driver.  It did have the Size unspecified, but
> the comment states it is 20x2.  I uncommented it to 20x2.  I restarted
> LCDd, mythfronted, and mythbackend.  Still no difference.
You actually need to restart mythlcdserver (or, more accurately, stop it
and the frontend will restart it automatically.) Stopping the frontend
should also stop mythlcdserver, though I've seen cases where it doesn't.

Restarting the backend shouldn't be necessary after changing the config,
though restarting the frontend might be, I'm not sure.
> If I were to try the curses driver, where would the LCD output go?
> Which shell window?  Is there any reason to even suspect that
> mythbackend would use rows 3 and 4?  I would be surprised if it did,
> since most LCD displays I have seen only have two rows.
It's been a long time since I've looked at it, but I think you use
"lcdvc" to display the curses-based text in a console.