[mythtv-users] livetv randomly stops playback

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Nov 18 21:10:24 UTC 2014

---- On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:09:42 +0100 Saul A. Peebsen<jaglover at gmail.com> wrote ----

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:15:08 +0100
Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:

> I've been having this issue ever since moving to 0.27.3 (BE and 1 FE
> currently running v0.27.3-159-g2d4a7c9, I was on 0.27.1 before .3
> upgrade a month ago), and dont know what to check to figure out whats
> going on.
>
> i have a split FE/BE system 1BE and 3FE's and the issue appears on at
> least 2FE's so doesn't appear to be a client side issue.
>
> What basically happens is that after a while, the liveTV feed will
> simply freeze on screen and i have to exit and restart a livetv
> session (for lack of a better word) to get it working again.
> Recordings and Films seems unaffected with playback issues. TV Source
> also does not appear to be the cause (happens on both DVB-T and
> DVB-S2 inputs, i've been able to record programs that are 7 hours).
> When the screen freezes, seeking through the liveTV playback results
> in EXTREMELY slow seeking. 20-30seconds todo 1 back step and seeking
> back to when the livetv signal was good, results in the screen being
> frozen, or at best, a few frames every few seconds.
>
> I updated my BE today, upto v0.27.3-159-g2d4a7c9, and also the latest
> TBS6981 drivers but with no improvement. It does not appear to be
> related to ringbuffer either, as the most recent freeze was outside
> of the EPG program start/stop times (8 minutes past the hour, after
> being in livetv for over an hour with 2 program changes)

You are not alone, my frontends crash the same way. In addition, when
watching liveTV every time a transmission ends and a new one starts
frontend exits liveTV.

--
Cheers, Saul

I think i may of found the cause of my problem; https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12306
BTRFS, with default commit value of 30secs.

i tried using commit=1 option in fstab, but it seems that opensuse's (12.3) btrfs 3.12 doesn't actually have the commit option available in it (BTRFS wiki says 3.12 should have it)

I've moved to a JFS partition on the same LVM VG (so not a physical disk issue), moved mythtv video content onto this and so far playback feels a lot smoother. Recorded shows feel like they start slightly quicker, skipping feels a bit more responsive and after an hour of livetv i have not experienced a crash or single playback issue.

it's obviously early days with confirming a fix, but things feel good so far!