[mythtv-users] FE upgrade to support 4k TV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:40:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Peter Buelow <goballstate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I've been doing some research about this

I think you need to go back and do more research.
4K does not mean the same to everyone, and it is
in a state of transition.  Few current TV's or video cards
(nor your A/V receiver) can support HDMI 2.0 which
supports the 4K that is coming (last I knew, only the
900 class nVidia cards have HDMI 2.0).

I will note that 4K for a TV is almost always overkill.
The eye cannot discern the difference (unless you
have spectacular eyes, or sit 6 feet from a 100"
projected screen).  It is simple biology.  While I know
bigger is always better, today's 4K is mostly a way
for the manufacturer to gain a premium (profit) since
the rest of the TV lines are moving to commodity
pricing.

For a PC monitor, though, 4K is spectacular (where
you do sit close to the screen, and can discern the
pixels).

Gary