[mythtv-users] System hangs occasionally

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Nov 7 03:13:27 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 06:58 PM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 07/11/14 11:33, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> Another occasion occurred. Here's the top few lines of top as it
>> appears frozen in a terminal window on my desktop machine:
>

> When you say "hangs" do you mean it pauses for a while, or locks up
> completely, requiring a reboot ?

The later. I turn on the TV and see the front end menu, but there's no
response to the remote, or to the keyboard. I can't connect via a
terminal in another machine. The only solution is to power cycle the
machine.

> If it's a lockup, I'd think faulty hardware.
> Perhaps RAM.  Although if it's happening very infrequently, it would
> be hard to tell.

It is infrequent. At least a couple of weeks between incidents. I've got
some things scheduled to record this evening. It looks like I'll have
some free time tomorrow and nothing is scheduled to record (after
tonight) until tomorrow evening. I'll try running memtest and see what I
get.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Regards,