[mythtv-users] Converting scripts to not use the database directly

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 5 17:45:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 09:27:18AM +0100, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Simon,
>
> Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 9:03:03 AM, you wrote:
>
> > UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Where is the single place I should go to edit whatever data?
>
> > It doesn't exist yet.
> > That, in part, is what the discussion about.
>
> > At present, there is no "single place to edit any editable data"
> > while *some* data can be edited via various obscure places in teh
> > UI. As a result, many people edit the DB directly via SQL.
>
> > Now, some stuff is completely "safe" to edit that way - well as
> > safe as anything can be when subject to fat fingers etc. But there
> > is a lot in there that shouldn't be touched and the DB itself won't
> > enforce (eg) referential integrity if a user decides to edit something they shouldn't.
> > It's the latter bit that makes the devs keen to remove external access to the DB.
>
> > But there's a bit of a "cart", "horse", "put in right order" situation.
> > The devs need to get a fully functional and acceptable means of
> > accessing the database in place before removing access to the DB.
> > That means a UI for "casual users" and ad-hoc changes, plus a
> > scriptable API for scripted operations.
>
> > The former doesn't exist at all yet, the latter sounds like it is still in it's infancy.

> I rarely use the edit option through the UI because it's to much
> work. A simple improvement already would be if I could do it through
> the Web interface, so I could sit behind my desk in stead of standing
> in front of the TV. But best would be if the Web interface would
> provide a kind of spreadsheet with the editable data, like I now have
> in phpmyadmin! I rarely want to edit just one episode, but to check on

I have a PHP interface of my own that's very much like this.

It's for videos and not recordings but the idea is the same. An entire
season is presented on a single page with options to edit the metadata.
I also have a search interface that allows you to search on any keyword
and the results will be presented in a similar fashion.

It's not very presentable but it's fast and responsive (and easy too).