[mythtv-users] MythGallery: selecting a favorite picture as directory thumb

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 5 14:18:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 03:25:13 -0000, Angela <angela.schmid at wolke7.net>
wrote:

> I tested today with 0.28-pre, combined FE/BE.

DO NOT try rotating/flipping your photos until the patch appears. It
destroys the image exiv data.

> Opening a directory takes 3 sec / 100 pictures, this is too slow! Every
> time, each thumbnail is generated by the backend:
> galleryfilehelper.cpp:431 (SendRequest) - GalleryFileHelper SendRequestok
> [http://127.0.0.1:6544/Image/CreateThumbnail?Id=33774]
> This delay exists also when you go back to the parent directory.

Master is currently using the services API. I'm running a version that
uses the internal protocol but I've no idea if that affects its speed.

I'm assume you're talking about ~28 folders, each with 4 thumbnails. I
notice its sluggish when the BE is busy because the thumbnail reads are
competing with threadedfilewriter. But with an idle BE I see it fill a lot
quicker.

However that should only be an issue once, after a scan, as the FE fills
its thumbnail cache in ~/.mythtv/cache/themecache/<theme>.
Thereafter I see them load instantaneously from the FE cache.

> Once my backend crashed. After reconnect, no thumbnails were
> created/shown
> anymore. Had to go back to the menu and start the gallery again.

I think I saw this once but have never been able to reproduce it. Let me
know if you can.

> I tested with the Mythbuntu theme, the thumbnail view is small (from
> upper-left, uses 60%) and are also the pictures. Theme Mythmedia Reduxwas
> OK.

Mythbuntu is currently using the default widgets. Themers will pick that
up before 0.28 release. The MythCenter themes work ok with the defaults.

> No thumbnail is generated when no pictures are found in the directory, it
> doesn't recurs into subdirectories as the "old" gallery does.
> In the "old" gallery thumbnails are not generated when the first
> subdirectory does not have any pictures.
>
> Some movie files types (mkv) are not recognized. Movies did not play.
>
>> renaming, moving, deleting files/directories are missing
> You are right, although I saw the code copied.
>
> Slide Show: only fade is implemented.

There's several issues like that. I'll address them when I've finished
restructuring. The original code was only partly integrated and has since
been split between BE/FE so there's loose ends to tie up first.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/549fb22e1726c9cb7cde8b9b0bd0e040706ac24f/mythtv