[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems: Bad device?

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:59:02 UTC 2014

On Nov 3, 2014 5:29 PM, "Rod Smith" <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/2014 05:58 PM, Michael wrote:
>>
>> On 11/03/2014 03:51 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
>>>

>>> I get "cat: /dev/video3: Input/output error". I get the same thing
>>> whether I do this as an ordinary user or as root. There's nothing in
>>> dmesg to elaborate on the I/O error.
>>

>> Do you have good audio connectivity as well?  On my HDPVR, if the
>> optical cable comes loose and the HDPVR doesn't get a signal, it will
>> give input/output errors similar to what you have described.
>

> Thanks to everybody who's responded so far. I've made progress. It turns
out that I swapped the blue and green lines (TWICE -- it's dark behind my
AV stack!), and this seems to have confused the HDPVR. I can now get a
video file when I do a "cat /dev/video1 > foo.ts".

> MythTV is still giving me 0-length recordings, though. I expect this is
some silly problem in the MythTV configuration, so I'll review that later
this evening or tomorrow.

> At least I know the hardware's OK. (I hate having to return things!)

Try a sleep at the end of your changing script.  The hdpvr needs the signal
to be good and going before it can captured.  Needs to be even longer if
using spdif.

Jon