[mythtv-users] Comcast encrypting World Series on FoxHD

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Nov 3 17:58:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Oops, sorry. I thought I had told you that I was not able to record World
>> Series games on my local (Salinas, CA, USA) FoxHD channel with either a
>> Motorola DCH3200 using firewire or an HDHomerun Prime using ethernet.
>

> Oops...premature post via keyboard shortcut on that last message :-(
>
> Anyway, I'll add an additional thought to this (regarding the prime...I
> don;t know much about firewire DRM). Cable companies usually don't flip CCI
> flags on individual programs. They usually do it per channel and it never
> changes unless someone goes in and reconfigures. So most likely the DRM is
> coming from the analog CGMS flags.

Ideally, MythTV should be a bit smarter about this and attempt to
reschedule the recording on another video source in real-time if one
is available.  For example, many users seem to have both 1 HDHR Prime
+ 1 HDPVR (I do).  If no recording is scheduled on the HDPVR, and a
recording fails on Prime, the recording should dynamically switch to
the other tuner as soon as it's practical.  This would work equally
well for multiple types of failures whether it's CGMS flags or (in a
recent event at my house) a cat damaging the cable feeding the Prime.

(I know, easier said than done, patches welcome, etc. etc.)

Eric