[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase fails on mariadb

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Nov 3 12:21:36 UTC 2014

At 4:44 AM +0000 11/3/14, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Darwin O'Connor <doconno at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I use mythtv on mac os x installed with macports.
>>
>>  When mythfilldatabase is run after it gets part way through (where it fails
>>  varies) it gets errors saying "MySQL server has gone away". This started
>>  when I replaced mysql with mariadb as required by the latest version of
>>  mythtv
>
>MythTV itself does not require mariadb.  If that upgrade
>occurred with your distro, talk to your distro maintainers
>about dependency definitions.

That would be me.  There are a number of users up and running with
MariaDB on OS X, now.  The OP and I traded several emails while he
was going through the upgrade process.  Normal steps are at:

<the MacPorts wiki page which won't open for me, right now>

Note that the OP:
+ can successfully connect to the database with 'mysql -u mythtv -p
mythconverg'
- had trouble with the mythconverg restore.  He had to specify the
--hostname, ala:

/opt/local/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --hostname 127.0.0.1
--drop_database --create_database --directory ~/Desktop -verbose

Without the hostname parameter, the script responded with the
oh-so-explicit message: "ERROR: Unable to connect to database."

I don't understand why his system has this problem while others
(myself included) do not. Although, this is the first time I've heard
mention that he has other databases running on MariaDB.  AFAICT, he
has a bog-standard my.cnf (which MacPorts places in
/opt/local/etc/mariadb/my.cnf).  I'm self-taught on this stuff,
however, so I know little about how to troubleshoot database problems.

Darwin, could we check the config.xml that the backend runs under?
What do you get from:

cat /opt/local/var/mythtvuser/.mythtv/config.xml

Also, how was the mythfilldatabase run initiated?  By the backend,
directly from the command line or via the Applescript helper?  I
presume your listing source is SchedulesDirect for a cable TV lineup?

Darwin, have you done any other tuning of MariaDB?  Say based on
mysql_tuner.pl?  Are your 'other databases' possibly busy at the same
time as the mythfilldatabase run?

>That all said, MythTV works quite well mariadb if it is
>configured equivalently to mysql.  However, it should
>be noted, than an "upgrade" could have easily changed
>the configuration.  I would look carefully at the before
>and after configurations.

Gary, your positive reports on MariaDB were one of the big reasons I
chose to go with MariaDB 5.5 rather than MySQL 5.6.  Much appreciated.

Craig
(The MacPorts guy.)