[mythtv-users] mythtv plex integration

Lucas Christian lucas at lucasec.com
Sun Nov 2 19:03:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am using free version paid version is too expensive now . I had found
> some scripts hosted on google code but dated.I would like to find a script
> that converts recording into mp4 and saves it into proper Series folder.

I have a script that I use for converting to mp4 (in place), and then I use
mythvidexport.py (with some modifications) to export to my Plex library.
The method works for movies.  I haven't heavily tested for TV shows.

I'll quote from where I shared my transcoder script in a conversation last
week—hopefully this will help.  Note that this script only transcodes in
place, it doesn't move anything (you'll need to run some other script to do
the copying/moving).

> I have a script that uses ffmpeg and works pretty well—it’s a derivation a
> script I found on someone’s blog and is written in bash:
> http://static.lucasec.com/mythtv/mythtranscode-h264.sh. To run it from a
> user job, create a user job with this command line:
> “/path/to/mythtranscode-h264.sh "%DIR%/%FILE%" "%CHANID%" "%STARTTIMEUTC%"
> "%JOBID%””.
>
> (...)
>
> There are a few other gotchas.  Make sure you set your database user/pass
> at the top of the script so that it can report progress into the job queue
> table.  Also, the current script converts audio into AAC using the
> libfdk_aac encoder, which your ffmpeg install probably didn’t come with. If
> you want original audio, just delete the -acodec and -vbr options and add
> "-acodec copy" on lines 86 and 90.

Mythvidexport is available at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py,
and although it's designed for moving recordings into MythVideo, it should
create the folder structure that Plex expects.