[mythtv-users] Time-Warner Cable/upcoming top-to-bottom channel reorg

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 30 15:29:28 UTC 2014

On 30/05/14 15:16, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>>> Which, unfortunately, does really ugly things to any existing
>>> recordings referencing that channel.
>>

>> No.  It does one of 2 things:
>>
>> 1) If a new channel is created with the same channel ID, then any recordings
>> that were from the original channel will show as having come from the new
>> channel.
>> 2) If no channel with that channel ID exists, the Watch Recordings screen
>> and similar will show the recording as having come from "#1021" or whatever
>> the channel ID is.
>
> Exactly.  This is my definition of "really ugly".
>
>> It has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the integrity of the data--
>
> I think that depends on what you count as "the data".  If you exclude
> "What channel was this recorded on?" from your definition of "the
> data", then of course there's no effect on the integrity of the data.
>
>> And, as soon as you watch
>> and delete the recording--or if you plan to keep it long term, move it to
>> Video Library--it won't even be a display issue anymore.
>
> It depends on where you look.
>
> If I go to my backend's mythweb status page, my top 10 recorded
> channel list is complete nonsense due to all the channel deletions
> over the last 10 years.
>
> Is it a showstopper for me?  No, of course not, but it's definitely
> ugly to see stuff like this.

As someone who designed databases for 35+ years I can tell you there are ways to
get round this problem and others in the myth db, but I don't wish to start an
unwanted controversy.

If anyone is interested I could make my suggestions public but I think that
would really depend on the attitude of the developers.

--

Mike Perkins