[mythtv-users] Time-Warner Cable/upcoming top-to-bottom channel reorg

glenb at glenb.us glenb at glenb.us
Thu May 29 17:20:01 UTC 2014

Sent from Windows Mail

From: Bob Sully
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎May‎ ‎29‎, ‎2014 ‎10‎:‎14‎ ‎AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Hi all -

I recently received a notice from Time-Warner Cable (Los Angeles area)
that they are planning a complete channel line-up re-org in about four
weeks.  I don't think any of their hundreds of channels will retain the
same numbers.

I am running 0.26-fixes on Ubuntu 12.04, with an HD-PVR (any channel
recordable, of course) and an HD-HR Prime with CableCard (which I can
only record the local networks and a few other channels with).  I use
Schedules Direct.  My Myth system has been humming along nicely to this
point.  I haven't had to do a full channel re-scan in years.

My question is - what's the best way to go about dealing with this -
delete all channels and do a full re-scan vs. doing mythfilldatabase
with do-channel-updates?  From what I've seen in a brief search of the
archives, the latter doesn't always work; manually entering the channel
IDs and figuring out which channel is which after a scan doesn't look
like much fun either (will take a lot of time).  I didn't mind doing it
for individual channels when a few were moved around, but this total
shakeup will take a while (perhaps it's a good excuse for not keeping
any of the SD channels in the DB, since I very rarely record anything
from them anyway).

What's the consensus here as to the best way to deal with this?

Thanks VERY much, in advance.
http://www.malibyte.net
http://www.malibyte.com

I am in the same boat in los angeles using qam, hdpvr and some on firewire. I use tvguide listings using webgrabplus. I am planning to start from scratch for the hdpvr lineup and check to see if the qam channels are still there and if they too get remapped. if they are remapped I will have to rescan those also. I find the tvguide listings better than schedules direct for me